Here comes another free e-booklet that collects a number of essays I wrote, 20 entries in my practical philosophy series over at Patreon. You can download a free PDF version (several other free booklets on Stoicism, philosophy of science and general philosophy can be found here). Updating Stoicism contains the following:
Introduction: why practical philosophy?
- Why does your life matter? A personal story and a challenge to readers 2. On the objectivity of ethical judgments
- Telic vs atelic activities, and the meaning of life
- Protagoras: should we re-evaluate the Sophists?
- Weekend Epicureanism?
- Is there a will to meaning?
- What on earth is practical philosophy?
- Epic battles in practical ethics: Arendt vs Thoreau
- Is public philosophy good? Obviously
- Epic battles in practical ethics: Virtue ethics vs Consequentialism
- Another attack on western philosophy, because, sex
- Some of my most loved relatives are sexists and racists. Now what? 13. David Brooks and the five lies culture tells us
- Thoreau’s Journal: on writing (why and how)
- What does it mean to be “from” somewhere?
- What is wisdom?
- The lure and danger of extreme examples
- Emerson on self-reliance
- Secular pilgrimages: the Academy, the Lyceum, and the Stoa
- Are you ready to die?